I searched for car insurance using confused.com and this company was at the top of the list with a very good offer on the type of car I had [group 15 insurance]. So I checked there site and made sure my details were correct and they were so I paid in good faith the sum they was asking.
I got the certificate through the post and checked again that everything was correct and it was. By this time they had taken my money so I thought nothing of it. Then lo and behold I get a phone call from a man from Budget who proceeded to explain that there was an error on the pricing and that I had two options; either the policy is cancalled or I pay them £1800! I said that this error was not my problem and that these options are what they want me to take but they had plenty of time to check this before taking my money.
I explained that they can keep there options and I will keep my policy and signed contract at the price I paid. The man would not let me talk to a manager as I couldn't believe they could hold me to ransom - either pay up this large sum of money or risk driving with no insurance which is illegal. He just kept saying that the manager of customer services doesn't talk to customers [strange]. So I told him I will check my rights and get back to them and he just said well your policy will be cancelled on the 18th of this month. Oh and by this time my policy had gone past the 14 day cooling period.
I checked with the ombusdman and it turns out they can change my price if they want and I can't do a thing about it. I find this disgusting as say if you buy a bargain in a shop and then the retailer realises he made a mistake and rings you up to ask for it back two weeks later or pay an extra large sum of money for his mistake.
Now i have the pleasure of sending forms off and chasing this so called company up for my refund and they won't even give me a full one back and to top it off I bet I am not the only person this happened to if it was a computer error on their behalf. How many people do you think they took £30 from for just sending a policy letter and then giving them a call two weeks later?