UK Car Insurance Articles
search advanced search

Home >> Car Insurance Articles

Know your rights if you're hit by an uninsured driver

Article by Simon Christopher
Article added: 5/3/2010 - Last updated: -
Rating: 4.00 4.00 (3 votes)

What is the uninsured drivers agreement?

The uninsured drivers agreement is an arrangement between the Government and the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB). The MIB is a company which is funded by its members; by law all insurers which deal with compulsory motor insurance (that cover which drivers must legally have) are required to be MIB members.

Under the agreement the scheme will pay some or all of the costs incurred when an insured driver is involved in an accident which is held to be caused by an uninsured driver.

How do I make a claim under the scheme?

You should submit a claim using the official form on the MIB website ( and supplying as much detail as possible. The MIB advises drivers to make sure that the other driver is uninsured (via a check with the DVLA); make a formal complaint to the police about the other driver breaking the law by driving without insurance; and report the accident to your own insurer.

Where possible you should also provide the MIB with two estimates of the cost of the necessary repairs, or one estimate stating the car is a write-off. It's not necessary to include the estimates if doing so would delay your claim.

What happens next?

The MIB will then consider the case. This can take a few months for minor damage, but much longer for complex cases. As part of the process, the MIB is required to contact the uninsured driver. If they refuse to cooperate with the investigation, it may complicate matters.

How much will I get?

This will depend on the investigation and any associated court decisions. If you are held to be partly or fully responsible for the accident, it will affect the compensation you receive.

For accidents after 7 November 2008, no excess payment is deducted from the compensation you receive. If you receive any compensation for lost earnings, you may have to repay some Government benefits you have received in relation to the injuries.

What about hit and runs?

In the event of a hit and run case, of any other accident where you can't identify the other driver, you can claim under a separate MIB scheme known as the untraced drivers agreement. The MIB will then co-ordinate with the police to get information from its own investigations, which means it may take some time before the claim is processed and completed. You may only be able to recover part of any legal costs you incur in this process.

As a general rule, the untraced driver agreement scheme will not pay for damages to your car unless the vehicle itself has been identified. If the vehicle hasn't been identified, you should still be eligible for compensation relating to injury as long as the investigation has a satisfactory outcome.

How much does the MIB schemes cost drivers?

At the moment the MIB estimates the fees paid by members are equivalent to between £15 and £30 per policyholder. These fees are built in to the cost of premiums. In recent years the general pattern has been for these costs to rise by more than the rate of inflation. This has been blamed on higher payouts and legal fees for the victims of uninsured drivers.

PLEASE NOTE: The guidance published in this article is for information only and does not constitute financial advice or a recommendation of any particular car insurance product or company. If you are in any doubt please consult an independent insurance adviser. A database of advisers in your area is available at

Copyright UK Insurance Index All rights reserved.

comments about this car insurance article

Comments About this Article:

 Add a Comment

share this car insurance article

Share this Article:

rate this car insurance article

Rate this Article:

Please rate this article between 0 and 5
with 5 being top.
All ratings received for this article.

all categories ALL CATEGORIES
A-Z Categories

popular categories POPULAR CATEGORIES
Car Insurance
Home Insurance
Life Cover
Mobile Phone Cover
Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance

directory categories DIRECTORY CATEGORIES
Home & Property
Insurance Brokers
Life & Protection
Non UK Insurers
Pet & Animal
Personal Possessions
Specialist Cover

review categories REVIEW CATEGORIES
Car & Motor
Insurance Companies
Life Cover
Pet & Animal

article categories ARTICLE CATEGORIES
Car & Motor
Home & Property
Insurance Awards
Insurance Guides
Life Cover
Pet & Animal

news categories NEWS CATEGORIES
Business News
Car and Motor News
General News
Health News
Home & Property News
Life Cover News
Pet and Animal News
Travel News

Moneysupermarket motor ins comparisons
Moneysupermarket makes it quick and easy to compare quotes from over 100 motor insurers and brokers in minutes.

Direct Line Car Insurance
Direct Line
Direct Line offers a range of big policy benefits like vandalism cover and named driver no-claims bonuses which are only available direct.

latest listings LATEST LISTINGS
Octagon Insurance
Quote Me Happy Car Insurance
RSA echoice car insurance
Your Cover Car Insurance from Allianz
Autonet Car Insurance - up to 60% off

latest reviews LATEST REVIEWS
Heritage Classic Car Insurance
Age UK Car Insurance
Carole Nash Bike Insurance
1st Central Car Insurance
One Quote Direct Car Insurance

latest articles LATEST ARTICLES
Getting the best value GAP insurance
5 mistakes that could instantly void your car insurance policy
Is your job title increasing your car insurance premiums?
A closer look at the new compulsory motor insurance rules
A closer look at the new motor insurance gender equality rules

Home | Privacy & Cookies | Terms of Use | Contact |

Page protected, do not copy

This website uses cookies to ensure a reliable browsing experience. If you continue to use this website you are consenting to us using cookies in this way. To find out what cookies are, which ones we use and why we use them please click here.

Copyright © 2019 UK Insurance Index. All rights reserved.
All directory listings, articles and reviews are provided as information only and do not constitute advice or a recommendation of any product or provider. If you use these insurers, we take no responsibility and give no guarantees, warranties or representations, implied or otherwise, for the content or accuracy of these third-party web sites or companies. If you have any doubts you should consult an authorised independent financial adviser for advice based upon your individual needs and circumstances. A database of advisers in your area is available at